Free Settler or Felon

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database

Convict Ship Asia 1833 


Share the story of your ancestor's life

Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page

(Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Home Surgeons Convict Ship Conditions
Ship Index / By Year Captains Index Resources

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850

J -K L M N - O P - Q R S T - V W - Y

Embarked 230 men
Voyage 126 days
Deaths - 5
Surgeon's Journal - Yes
Tons: 536
Previous vessel: Portland arrived 26 June 1833
Next vessel: Waterloo arrived 3 August 1833
Captain Thomas F. Stead
Surgeon Superintendent Thomas Galloway
The Asia was built at Aberdeen in 1819. Convicts were transported to New South Wales on the Asia in 1820, 1822, 1825, 1828, 1830, 1832 and 1833.  

Thomas Galloway kept a Journal from December 1832 to 19 July 1833.  It begins on 14th December 1832, two months before the Asia set sail. 

The prisoners, who had been in the hulks, were starving. They brought with them from the Justitia hulk little bundles of bread, butter and sugar which some of them ate immediately they received it. On the morning of their embarkation they had been washed in cold water and subsequently stood for some hours in an open shed in Woolwich Warren, until the remainder of them had completed their ablutions and were inspected.

 There had been incessant rain and the Asia was in an extremely damp state in the prison area and under the poop deck. At first the surgeon considered these to be the causes of the first signs of illness, however on arrival at Sheerness when a patient who had been convalescing for three days suffered a relapse, followed by other cases of cholera the same evening he became convinced of it being an epidemic and instantly adopted every measure in his power to arrest its progress.   Two stoves were supplied from the dockyard and they were kept constantly burning in an attempt to dry the prisons but without success as the ship was too large and needed more stoves. Surgeon Thomas Galloway later recommended that for ships over 500 tons, no less than six stoves and coke to burn were needed when vessels were departing between February to the end of July.

The Asia departed on 21st February 1833.

Several prisoners lost their lives on the passage, one of them from a carbuncle. Of the old men who died towards the close of the voyage, the surgeon reported that two of them Wanstall and Edgoose were so feeble on embarkation as to require assistance to and from deck even in fine weather.  

A number of the prisoners were boys and a separate prison area was established for them on board. Many left families behind who would not hear of their fate for many years. Fifteen prisoners were under the age of 16. The youngest were William Brown (15); John Jauncey (15); Charles Richard Rogers (15); John Rowley (14); Frederick Thompson (14); John Tree (14) and Robert Stephens (12).

Robert Kidd from Edinburgh was sixteen years old when he was convicted of picking pockets. He left behind a grieving mother who was still trying to find his whereabouts many years later. She wrote a letter of enquiry which is included in the convict indent files.......

To Mr. Thomas Byn,
Please sir,
I am sorow for troubling butt I will take it very kind if you will give me any information of Robertt Scoott Kid who left Edinburgh in 1832 he sailed in the easey. as I am his Mother I have very much thought aboutt him bean so long absent I would like very much to know whether he is dead or alive there is a person come home just know one Richard Shaw who gave me your address and he says the last time he herd of him he was with one Mr. Thomas Arkell, Bathurst by Sydney New South Wales. Sir I will be exceedingly oblige to you if you will write me an answer by return of post. No more at presentt butt Remain Your obedient serventt,
Mary Kidd

A Note over page gives the following information - Robert Kidd per ship Asia absconded from the service of Mr. John Hoskin on 27 December 1830 and is still at large. Answered 10 January 1854

Two hundred and twenty five male prisoners arrived in Port Jackson on 27 June 1833 after a voyage of 126 days. The convicts remained on board for twenty one days until arrangements were made for their final distribution.

They were landed on Monday 15th July 1833.  

The guard consisted of 29 rank and file of the 21st Fusiliers Regiment accompanied by 8 women and 8 children, under the orders of Lieuts. Kelly and Wilson of the 6th regiment. They were embarked on the Funchal bound for Hobart to join their regiment there. Select here to find convict ships bringing detachments of the 21st regt.,

Notes & Links:  

1). Thomas Galloway was also surgeon on the Isabella in 1832, Henry Porcher in 1835 and the Susan in 1836.  

2). Two prisoners of the Asia - John Jenkins and Thomas Tattersdale were executed in Sydney on 10 November 1834 for the murder of Dr. Wardell.  

3). Hunter Valley convicts and passengers arriving on the Asia in 1833

4). Convict ships bringing detachments of the 21st regiment (Royal Scotch Fusiliers).......

Date/ Place of Departure Ship Command of the Guard
4 September 1832 London Mary 1833 Captain Daniels 21st regt.,
8 October 1832 Cork Roslin Castle 1833 Lieuts. Bayley & Pieter L. Campbell. 21st
22 September 1833 Sheerness Camden 1833 Major Thomas Fairweather 21st regt.,
17 November 1832 Portsmouth Andromeda 1833 Lieuts. Lonsdale & Armstrong 21st regt.,
14 December 1832 London Mangles 1833  
21 February 1833 Cork Portland 1833 Captain Frazer, 26th regt.,
21 February 1833 Downs Asia 1833 Lieuts. Kelly and Wilson of 6th regt.,
14 May 1833 Portsmouth Heroine 1833 Captain Mackay
-- June 1833 Sheerness Lord Lyndoch 1833 Lieut-Col. Leahy. Headquarters of 21st
4 June 1833 Dublin Royal Admiral 1833 Lieut. Ainslie 21st regt.,
5 June 1833 Portsmouth Captain Cook 1833 Captain Armstrong 21st regt.,
4 July 1833 Portsmouth Aurora 1833 Major Delisle 4th regt.,
24 July 1833 Cork Java 1833 Lieut. Wrixon, 21st regt.,
29 July 1833 Plymouth Neva 1833 Lieut. McEdwin 1st or Queens Own regt.,
25 August 1833 Downs Lloyds 1833 Lieut. McKnight 21st regt.,
27 October 1833 England Fairlie 1834  
28 March 1838 Bengal Merchant 1838 Lieut. Dear of 21st regt.,



web counter