Free Settler or Felon

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database

Convict Ship Lady Harewood 1832 


Share the story of your ancestor's life

Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page

(Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Home Surgeons Conditions
Ship Index / By Year Captains Index Resources

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850

J -K L M N - O P - Q R S T - V W - Y

Embarked 200 men
Voyage: 143 days
Deaths 1
Surgeon's Journal - Yes
Tons: 432
Previous vessel: City of Edinburgh arrived 22 June 1832
Next vessel: Clyde arrived 27 August 1832
Captain Richard Stonehouse.
Surgeon Superintendent John Inches

The Lady Harewood was built on the Thames in 1791. Convicts were transported on the Lady Harewood to Van Diemen's Land in 1829 and to New South Wales in 1831 and 1832.

Prisoners on this voyage of the Lady Harewood came from districts throughout England - Cambridge, Essex, Manchester, Lancaster, Suffolk, London etc., They were taken from county prisons to the hulks to await transportation.   On 7th March 1832 two hundred prisoners who had been incarcerated in the York and Leviathan Hulks were embarked at Spithead.

Lieut. Lowth 38th regt., commanded the Guard and was accompanied by Mrs. Lowth. The Guard consisted of Lieut. Donlan, 48th regt., and 26 rank and file of 4th regiment. Select here to find convict ships bringing detachments of the 4th regiment.

Surgeon John Inches' Medical Journal included a list of food he received from Captain Stonehouse for the voyage - 16 bottles of port wine; six pounds of preserved meat; 34 pounds of Pearl Barley; 20 pounds of tea; 20 pounds of tea; 14 pounds of sago; 10 ounces of ginger; 37 pounds of rice; 52 pounds of sugar; and 27 bottles of lemon juice.

They sailed for Port Jackson on 15 March, however were obliged to put back because of tempestuous weather after getting only part way down the Channel. They sailed again on 25th March 1832 not having had any illness amongst the convicts whilst at Spithead.  They were fortunate in this as cholera had swept through the prisons and hulks of England and Ireland causing many deaths.

The prisoners were mustered twice a week and at the first signs of spongy gums (symptom of scurvy) lime juice was given out, however one prisoner died of scurvy as the ship lay in Sydney Harbour.

The Lady Harewood was the first of the convict ships that was fitted without midship berths, having hammocks instead which enabled the surgeon to keep a clear space between the main and fore hatch in the day time and allow free circulation of air on the prison deck. The surgeon noted that it was also of great service in bad weather as a number of the prisoners could walk about when the weather would not permit of them going on deck which greatly promoted the health of the prisoners in general.

The Lady Harewood anchored off Shark Island, Port Jackson at 9p.m. on 5 August 1832 in accordance with recently established quarantine regulations. The following day they were brought into Sydney Cove, no infectious illness having been experienced since leaving Portsmouth.

Vessels entering Port Jackson at this time, the crews of which had been visited by disease within thirty days of making the port were ordered to bring up in Spring Cove and carry a quarantine flag at the main. Should they not have had disease on board, they were allowed to bring up at Shark Island, until visited by Medical officers. Any ships not following the regulations were liable to heavy penalties. (1)

One hundred and ninety-nine convicts were mustered on board by the Colonial Secretary on 9th August 1832.

The men were landed on Saturday 18th August 1832.  They were marched up to the Hyde Park Barracks. They were reportedly a robust healthy set of men and remarkably clean. On Monday they were forwarded to their respective assignees. (2)

Notes & Links:

1). An extensive collection of vine cuttings from the vineyards of France were sent back to Australia by James Busby on the Lady Harewood. (Sydney Herald 13 August 1832)

2). John Inches was also surgeon on the convict ships Lloyds in 1833 Mary in 1835 and the Norfolk in 1837

3). Return of Corporal Punishments...    

4). Novel Case - George Pitman a seaman of the convict ship Lady Harewood, appeared on a warrant, charged by R.W. Stonehouse Esq., Commander of that vessel, with assaulting ...Hall, a prisoner of the Crown, transported to this colony by the said vessel; the said prisoner having given him no provocation, and the said assault being forbidden by the regulations, made for the government of transport ships.

Hall, the prisoner, referred to deposed that he had occasion to go to the ship's head, when the defendant, without any provoation, struck him with a rope's end. He was tarring the rope and on defendant's passing struck him with all his might.
John Inches, Esq., R.N. Surgeon Superintendent of the Lady Harewood, stated that the man Hall came to him on the quarter deck, and complained of having been struck by the defendant; in consequence of which he went forward and told Pitman that such conduct was improper; if any prisoner misconducted himself it was his duty to complain to him; but no seaman was allowed to take the law in his own hands by striking a prisoner. The sailor at first denied having struck him at all, and the acknowledged to having done so lightly. He therefore ordered the man down into the sick bay, where, on his being stripped a deep wale appeared on the small of his back.

The defendant stated in his defence that the rope had a round turn found the fore topmast yard, and in handing it down it struck the man accidentally. Captain Stone house gave the defendant a good character for general conduct; and the Bench ordered him to enter into his own recognizances to keep the peace for twelve months. Pitman said he was unable to pay the bail bond and other expenses, and the Captain being appealed to by the Bench refused to assist him, alleging that, as he had broken his contract by striking a prisoner, he did not consider him entitled to any remuneration for his labours in working the vessel to this port
. (Sydney Gazette 23 August 1832) (The convict mentioned above was Evitas Hall, an ostler from Worcester. He later joined the notorious bushranger gang led by McDonald)

4). Hunter Valley convicts arriving on the Lady Harewood in 1832

5). Convict Ships bringing detachments of the 4th (King's Own) Regiment.....
Date/Place of Departure Convict Ship Command of the Guard
29 April 1831 Cork Jane Captain George Mason
17 July 1831 Portsmouth Surry Captain Waldron 38th regt.,
6 August 1831 Cork Asia Captain Richard Chetwode
15 October 1831 Norfolk Lieut. David William Lardy 4th regt.,
5 November 1831 Dublin Captain Cook Lieut. Gibbons 49th regt.,
27 November 1831 Portsmouth Portland  
27 November 1831 Cork Isabella Captain William Clarke 4th regt.,
14 December 1831 Dublin Bussorah Merchant Lieut. William Lonsdale 4th regt.,
7 February 1832 Downs John Lieut. George Baldwin 31st regt.,
15 March 1832 Portsmouth Lady Harewood Lieut. Lowth 38th regt.,
18 March 1832 Cork City of Edinburgh Lieut. Bayliss
9 May 1832 Portsmouth Clyde Lieut-Colonel Mackenzie
10 May 1832 Cork Eliza Lieut. Hewson
16 June 1832 Portsmouth Planter Lieuts. Bullin & Irvine 38th regt.,
19 June 1832 Downs Hercules Lieut. Gibson 4th regt.,
1 July 1832 Dublin Dunvegan Castle Lieut. Thomas Faunce 4th regt.,
28 July 1832 Sheerness Parmelia Captain Young 38th regt.,
12 March 1833 Sheerness Waterloo Captain Mondilhan 54th regt.,


1). Sydney Herald 9 August 1832

2). Sydney Monitor 22 August 1832



web counter