Free Settler or Felon

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database

Convict Ship Waterloo 1833 


Share the story of your ancestor's life

Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page

(Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Home Surgeons Ship Conditions
Ship Index / By Year Captains Index Resources

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850

J -K L M N - O P - Q R S T - V W - Y

Embarked: 214 men
Voyage: 144 days
Surgeon's Journal: yes
Tons: 414
Previous vessel: Asia arrived 27 June 1833
Next vessel: Caroline arrived 6 August 1833
Captain John Cow
Surgeon Superintendent John Stephenson R.N.
The Waterloo was built in Bristol in 1815. Convicts were transported to New South Wales on the Waterloo in 1829, 1831, 1833, 1836 and 1838 and to Van Diemen's Land in 1835.

John Stephenson kept a Medical Journal from 17 February to 21 August 1833.

The Waterloo arrived in Sheerness from Deptford on 3rd March and by the 10th March had received 214 convicts.  They sailed from Sheerness on the 12th March and on that day cholera broke out amongst the men.

Three days later they returned having lost all three anchors in a gale off Margate. They stayed there until the 27th and then sailed to the Motherbank where they remained in quarantine until 8th April 1833.

John Stephenson was experienced in treating cholera as he had encountered a similar experience on the Katherine Stewart Forbes the previous year. The sick were removed to the Tremendous and the convicts joined them a few hours a day while the ship was thoroughly cleaned.

About 40 convicts were treated for cholera and eight men died. Two of the men who died weighed heavily on the mind of the surgeon. They had been attendants on one of their mess mates who had been struck with the illness. Both contracted the disease and died almost immediately. There were no further outbreaks past the 9th April and the surgeon ordered the clothing and blankets of the dead to be destroyed. He was dismayed to later discover that 'the wretches had actually slept night after night under the blankets I had ordered to be destroyed'.

Three weeks of bad weather after sailing made it impossible to keep the prisoners clean or dry and they were forced to remain below decks much of the time. Few convicts had changes of clothes.  The end of April and all of May the weather was fine, June and July were very bad with gales, rain and hail. During the rest of the passage the prisoners mostly enjoyed good health although one more convict passed away.

The Guard consisted of 8 rank and file of 4th regiment., 2 women and 7 children under orders of Capt. Mondilhan of 54th and Lieut. Lackie of 39th regiment. Select here to find convict ships bringing detachments of the 4th regiment.

The Waterloo arrived in Port Jackson on 3 August 1833 with 203 male prisoners. Information in the convict indents includes name, age, education, religion, marital status, family, native place, trade, when & where convicted, sentence, prior convictions and physical description.

About fifty five men were assigned to government service or private settlers in the Hunter Valley region in the following years. Many settled to a new way of life. They were granted tickets of leave or certificates of freedom and they married and raised families. There were others however who did not adapt and in desperation to escape unending toil and harsh punishments, they took to the bush. Among them were George Castle who absconded from the Newcastle hospital in 1836; George Edwards absconded from an escort in 1841; Richard Jones absconded from John Pike in 1834; Robert Sheldon absconded from William Burnett in 1838. None of these men however, achieved the notoriety and daring of Henry Elgar who in 1844 joined with several other desperadoes to steal a boat from Newcastle harbour and sail northward. They abandoned the boat north of Port Stephens and took to the bush but were eventually captured by the Mounted Police and sentenced to a penal colony for life.

Notes & Links:  

1). The Waterloo under Captain Henry Agar and surgeon Henry Kelsall was wrecked at Table Bay in 1842 while on the voyage from Sheerness to Tasmania.  

2) John Stephenson was employed as Surgeon Superintendent on the convict ships Guildford in 1829, Eleanor in 1831, the Katherine Stewart Forbes in 1832 (VDL) the Waterloo in 1833, and the Neva 1835.

3). Hunter Valley convicts and passengers arriving on the Waterloo in 1833

4). Convict Ships bringing detachments of the 4th (King's Own) Regiment.....

Date/Place of Departure Convict Ship Command of the Guard
29 April 1831 Cork Jane Captain George Mason
17 July 1831 Portsmouth Surry Captain Waldron 38th regt.,
6 August 1831 Cork Asia Captain Richard Chetwode
15 October 1831 Norfolk Lieut. David William Lardy 4th regt.,
5 November 1831 Dublin Captain Cook Lieut. Gibbons 49th regt.,
27 November 1831 Portsmouth Portland  
27 November 1831 Cork Isabella Captain William Clarke 4th regt.,
14 December 1831 Dublin Bussorah Merchant Lieut. William Lonsdale 4th regt.,
7 February 1832 Downs John Lieut. George Baldwin 31st regt.,
15 March 1832 Portsmouth Lady Harewood Lieut. Lowth 38th regt.,
18 March 1832 Cork City of Edinburgh Lieut. Bayliss
9 May 1832 Portsmouth Clyde Lieut-Colonel Mackenzie
10 May 1832 Cork Eliza Lieut. Hewson
16 June 1832 Portsmouth Planter Lieuts. Bullin & Irvine 38th regt.,
19 June 1832 Downs Hercules Lieut. Gibson 4th regt.,
1 July 1832 Dublin Dunvegan Castle Lieut. Thomas Faunce 4th regt.,
28 July 1832 Sheerness Parmelia Captain Young 38th regt.,
12 March 1833 Sheerness Waterloo Captain Mondilhan 54th regt.,



web counter